Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Feel It in Your Bones

On Brühl's Terrace, a beautiful strolling place in the heart of Dresden's old city that overlooks the Elbe River, you can find a handful of these inconspicuous plaques on the terrace's railing.


It's an interactive art exhibit called the "Touched Echo", which, strangely enough, we learned about after it was featured on a few (non-German) technology blogs. Last Saturday we decided to pay it a visit.

Here's how it works: A device is attached to the fence that transmits sounds, specifically, sounds simulating the Feb. 13, 1945, air raid on Dresden — explosions, falling bombs, low-flying aircraft and the like. The interesting thing is that the sounds are completely inaudible unless you lean your elbows on the railing and put your hands over your ears. The sounds are conducted through your bones. Here's a picture of me demonstrating:

It's like there are ghosts trapped in the ironwork. Very creepy. And cool.

You should totally come try it out.

And on a completely unrelated note, several minutes after experiencing the Touched Echo, we saw this:

A Trabi limousine. Awesome.

That is all.



JEM

10 comments:

  1. That is crazy! I would love to try that. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot to mention another cool aspect of the installation: the act of hunching over and covering your ears is supposed to put you in the position of the civilians who experienced the chaos of the firebombing firsthand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whaaa? A Trabi limo? How many Trabis do you have to put together to get one limo? I hope they outfitted it with more than the two cylinder engine the old Trabants had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's a really cool idea. I love the top picture with the raindrops on the plaque.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a cool idea. So, where are you keeping that baby? The trabi limo is still smaller than most cars in America. so sad. i bet it gets great gas mileage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I may have nightmares about this tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is so neat. I would love to try that. How long is it up for?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if I could build one of those in my class room and use it as some kind of sick punishment...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I just saw your blog address on your MySpace page and checked it out. I have kinda abandoned MySpace for blogspot--it is definitely much more my thing. So I just wanted to say hello and let you know that I have a page too!

    - Lara (Hays)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that is crazy! And I love the car--does it actually run--people drive it/ride in it??

    ReplyDelete