Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Morning in the Garden

Germany has miserable winters. They're not that cold compared to the frigid winters I spent growing up in Idaho buried under 10 feet of snow for four months solid. But even at its coldest in Idaho, nay, especially at its coldest, the sun comes out and the skies are bright, bright blue. Here, however, thanks to our higher latitude, the days are much shorter (10 a.m. to about 4 p.m.), and thanks to our wetter climate, the skies are dismal and gray for weeks at a time. So when I woke up last Thursday and could see patches of blue out my bedroom window, I nearly wept. And then I took Jethro to the park.

Even devoid of leaves, Dresden's Großer Garten, or Great Garden, was glorious. Carpeted in gold and purple crocuses and filled with birdsong, it reminded me how much I love it here.

I parked the Kinderwagen next to a pond and sat Jethro on my lap to watch the strolling people and the swimming ducks and swans.
And I was once again struck with the nagging feeling that wherever I go and whatever I do in my life, I doubt I'll ever find myself living in a more beautiful place.




JEM

9 comments:

  1. You will always be surprised at the beauty God had made ALL over the world. I never thought I would love the desert but I see such beauty there now. I love the mountains here, and the towering trees and lakes in MN... I have never been anywhere where I haven't loved and appreciated the beauty.
    Enjoy it whereever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures, and true what you said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! With his arms stretched out, it looks like Jethro was the one taking the picture of the two of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that every time I move somewhere new! Lucky for us there are so many beautiful places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Jaz, I wish I was sitting right there by you. It does look beautiful and (somehow reminds me of the pond at grandma holley's condo-one of my fav places on the earth).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jasmine, you are quite the natural mother. I love reading about your bond with Jethro, and I love hearing about your outings. You are the perfect mother for him--how blessed he is and you are to have each other! (And thanks for all of your posts on the history there. You have a way of opening people's eyes.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It almost brings a tear to my eye thinking of you and little Jethro sitting there in that beautiful park, just watching everyone. I remember those blissful days of having one in tow--being able to "be" just the two of us. No stressful schedules, constantly rushing, being referee to arguments, making sure chores and homework are done, etc. Oh, the life! I'm glad you're soaking it all in. Wish I were there w/ you. P.S. Don't you just love Jethro even more now that he's in this interactive phase? He's so darn sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the picture of you, Jethro, and the beautiful garden. I agree with what has been written: there is beauty all around. We are all so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Amy, I was a little weepy thinking of you and baby J together in that beautiful park. Jaz, is that the garden we walked through by your apartment? I agree, I don't think you'll ever live anywhere quite so beautiful... take it all in and enjoy that sunshine while it lasts! We love you. Kisses to Jethro.

    ReplyDelete