Sunday, January 17, 2010

Ringing It in and Dorking It up

For New Year's we were delighted to entertain Jake's mission pal Megan and her hubby Rijen and their little cutie Fiona (another American family living in Germany). Jethro thoroughly enjoyed canoodling with his latest gal-pal, seen here wearing his pajamas, but there's a totally good explanation for that.


They regarded Jake's expertly executed fireworks display in front of the apartment building with great solemnity.


And then when to bed. At which point the grown-ups busted out the sushi mat ...


... and the glow sticks.





We thought we were pretty awesome with our glowing chokers and monocles until Rijen accidentally took this picture with the flash.

And it was abruptly revealed that the emperor was wearing no clothes. And that we were wearing no self-respect. I, at least, should have realized this earlier in the evening, when in an attempt to create a glowstick handlebar mustache, I broke a glowstick and got a mouthful of toxic glow fluid. But even this photo couldn't quell the dorkapalooza festivities, which proceeded unfeigned and included an attempt on my part to neck-hula-hoop glowsticks.

Thanks for coming, guys. We look forward to relinquishing ourselves of all pride with you again someday soon.



JEM

15 comments:

  1. I talked to Megan yesterday she said you guys had so much fun! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you please submit that picture to awkward family photos dot com? It's hilarious. Glad you had good holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahahaha! Best. New. Year's. Eve. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surprisingly, one of the fundamental laws of human nature is that two dorky things equal one thoroughly cool thing. For example, full body spandex (dorky) + journalism (dorky) = Superman (very cool).

    Your mistake was in not pairing the glow sticks with something else dorky, for instance ultimate Frisbee. Late night UF ROCKS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, you don't know me, but I have been following your blog through Ben and Missy. It has been interesting to see what it's like living abroad, because we're planning the same thing, except we're moving to Idaho from Finland.

    Too bad the moustache glow stick didn't work out.

    It's weird how relative dorky and cool are in different countries. I remember Ultimate Frisbee being the thing that cool kids in junior high in Finland always suggested we'd do in gym classes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you guys. The sushi looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to carry on the sushi tradition! We didn't get to do it this year because Ben was roped into being a chaperone at a youth dance. lame.
    I leave for the USA on the 25th... excited to go, nervous to make the 24 hour journey with a baby.

    I loved your glow stick pics. So funny. I'm glad you captured the heroic dorkiness of the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I'm ever feeling down, I just need to revisit those pictures again, they make me laugh so much! What a great way to start the new decade & it is true, "solemnity" was the perfect way to describe how the babies reacted to the fireworks. We on the other hand.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, I am re-reading this post today. I have been giggling about the picture with the flash for about five minutes. You guys are so funny. I'm glad you had a fun new years and friends to spend it with. Love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun. I just realized that Susie and Jethro have ears in common.... take a look sometime. We call her our little elf.
    So, why was the little girl in his jammies?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there, thanks so much for stopping by my blog :) I'm glad to hear that the lemon poppy seed muffins turned out well for you-they're definitely a favorite in my house as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jasmine!
    I'll be moving to Dresden (from Toronto) in May.. my husband's doing his Post-Doc in TU Dresden and we'll be there for about two - three years. I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions about living in Dresden? I couldn't see how to contact you from the blogspot... more about stuff regarding how to rent an apartment (our german so far is zilch though we've been studying!) and stuff like that. I'd be really appreciative, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Anonymous from Toronto: Very exciting for you guys! I'll do my best to answer your questions. My e-mail is jasmine.michaelson(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm just tasting that toxic glow stuff in my mouth right now! Jaz, you need to be careful. Before we know it, you'll be choking on small parts of toys not meant for children under 3. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok, I have to make another comment on this entry. Does it strike anyone that you two couples actually look almost exactly alike?! Seriously. It's like the Twilight Zone.

    ReplyDelete