Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Yes, Boss, I Am Disease Free!

I think one of the strangest things about living in a foreign country that I completely took for granted are the different laws. You assume, you know, that we're all western, capitalistic democracies, so we probably have pretty much the same rules. Not true. Here is today's example.

Yesterday I applied for an English teaching job at a local language school, and on the application I was asked for a photograph of myself, if I had any infectious diseases, if I had any "financial problems", and if I was "handicapped". Exact word. I'm actually surprised they didn't ask for my religion, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.

To quote Jake: "If they did that in America they would have no pants. Because they would have been sued off."

But we're not in America. We're in Germany. And practices like this are 100 percent legit here. Not only are they legal, they're standard procedure. So I don't blame this company. But I am counting my lucky stars that I'm young, healthy, and not especially unattractive.

And Germans are always whining about the high unemployment here. Hmmm.



JEM

No comments:

Post a Comment