Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Poll: How Do You Do?

So I notice that in the English book I am required to teach from, it says that the correct and polite response to the question "How do you do?" is "How do you do?"

Did I miss something? Doesn't "How do you do?" mean the same thing as "How are you doing?" Isn't the response "fine" or "very well"? I tell the students that I think the book is mistaken, that I have never heard someone respond like that, and of course, one of the students disagrees with me. I am wrong and the book is right. I say I'm sorry, but all I have to go on is 24 years of BEING AN AMERICAN.

And then I consider telling them that the only people who say "How do you do?" anyway are limp-wristed tea-party goers and that saying it can, in some American cities, get you killed. But I don't. They'll have to learn that the hard way.

So now you tell me, what is the correct response to "How do you do?" Together we will settle this once and for all.



JEM

9 comments:

  1. I don't think I can answer this one, I don't recall EVER being asked, "how do you do?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Don't you just love the phrases in foreign language books? I remember when I was taking Spanish. I was sure that the phrases I was learning made me sound like a complete moron. It's nice to know that happens to people trying to learn English too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chels, this means a lot from you considering you've actually lived in the land of English propriety.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to ask Eddie what the correct response is! He did get high marks in elocution. Maybe he'll have the answer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He doesn't really know either! He says that you're supposed to be polite and gracious in your answer, and ask a similar question back to them, unless you're speaking to the queen, in which case you would just say, "Your Majesty"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those language texts--my favorite one in Taiwan was about a little dragon looking guy with the all-American name of Chevadi.

    I think the proper response to :"How do you do" is "I do fine." then turn and walk away trying not to laugh audibly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty sure the book is right. What they are missing though, is the sarcastic tone which the responding person should apply to his reply of "How do you do?" Meaning that the reply is really a mockery of the original question. That's where my vote stands and maybe you can explain to the students that though the book may be correct, it lacks the accompanying intonations and body language which only you, a true American, can impart to them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. why aren't you teaching them proper American greetings like "'sup" or "hey" or even "yo dog"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, here in Philly... if you asked someone "How do you do?" You'd probably get a "None of your &$#% business. Get out my face, lady."

    ReplyDelete