"I just met Alan Alda. Nice guy."
My brain subsequently exploded. Alan Alda.
As in Hawkeye.
As in one of the men very high on my "If Only I'd Been Born in a Different Decade ..." list of men who slay me. (Those interested may read about two other men on my list here.)
Oh, now don't get too cocky, Alan Alda.
It's not called my "If Only I'd Been Born in a Different Decade ..." list for nothing. I've seen you lately.
And it's a little upsetting.Fortunately, Hawkeye wasn't wearing the glasses when Jake saw him. Jake says he looked more like this:
But passed out alone on a couch at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology. He was there filming a PBS documentary called "The Human Spark" that will air next year. Jake stood across the lobby and watched him sleep with his mouth hanging open and his lurpy frame struggling to find a comfortable position on the über-modern couch. Jake only had a few minutes between sessions and managed to, from his vantage point, mentally will Alan Alda awake so that he could go sit by him and strike up a conversation. They talked for a few minutes about the documentary, and Jake told him how much he and I love "M*A*S*H". Jake says he was very gracious and seemed geniunely flattered.To which I replied, "That's just great." And stuck my head in the oven.
JEM
P.S. You owe it to yourself today to read a few of these Hawkeye one-liners. You'll thank me.


That Hawkeye page is exactly what Geocities and Tripod stood for in the '90s: links down the side, one shitty GIF file, impossible to read combination of background and font colors.
ReplyDeleteAnd great fan site content.
I loved it.
there is something that reminds me of Bishop Peterson about him-he would be cool to meet though because he's so dang smart. i think he and Jakey are two peas in a pod.
ReplyDeleteGlad that Jake remembers something about his childhood--we did watch MASH everynight for about 15 years. Love you guys so much. PS Grandma got your letter and she called me to tell me all about it. She has had everyone who comes to visit read it again so you are well-publisized. Good job and thanks--it made her day.
ReplyDeletemet him too on his first evening in leipzig. he and his wife, arlene, were simply charming.
ReplyDeletecheers,
rita
http://rita.blogkade.de/archives/1483-hawkeye-and-i.html