Today in English class, the students asked me where I was from, exactly, in the United States. I told them Idaho, which is in the Rocky Mountain region of the country, in the west. Usually no one has heard of Idaho, so I explained that it is a big state with not many people and lots of potatoes and cows.
"Do you know of a city called Provo?" one woman asked.
Yes, I told her, stunned that she had, apparently. I studied at a university in Utah, I said, and I had been to Provo many times. "Do you know people in Provo?" I asked her.
Turns out Provo is sister cities with her city, Meissen, which lies 10 miles or so outside Dresden, and the two cities maintain a correspondence.
"Zhey come to our Stadtfest (city festival) every year," she said. "And zhey trink vahter."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
CONGRATULATIONS! I am trilled for you! I'm sorry I just found out, it has been a while since I have checked up on you. Life here has been a little crazy. You will make such a fantastic mother, and you are so brave! I would have been more than a little nervous to go to a gyno in another country! Keep the baby posts coming!
ReplyDelete"zey trink vhater"
ReplyDeleteFunniest thing I've read today! Seriously, hysterical!
I have some insight! Meisen is sister cities with Provo because Karl G Maeser was from Meisen. The amazing German teacher at Timpview High school arranges a group exchange with Meisen every year. So every year around 30 Timpview Highschool students head over to the little German town of Meisen and learn German. Considering that 99% are LDA I bet they do "trink vhater."
ReplyDelete