Wow, thanks everybody for the sweet well-wishes and offers of help and prayers on my family's behalf. Really. That means a lot to me. As Amy, my sister-in-law pointed out, my mom is indeed young and tough and healthy as a horse, and I have no doubt she'll pull this off in record time and amaze her doctors. My folks also have a huge support system of family and friends who are doing a super job of making sure they're looked after. It's a rotten situation, for sure. But it could've been a lot worse, and in the end, everything will be OK. Mostly I just needed a moment to gush. But thanks so much for the prayers. That stuff works.
Because I don't like having a depressing story as my lead entry, I'm going to go ahead and move on. What I want to talk about today is this:
Jake saw this recently on one of his millions of tech geek blogs and totally froke out. They're making a movie about the Rock-afire Explosion! he said. Isn't that awesome?! he said.
What's a Rock-afire Explosion? I said.
Turns out I missed out on a few things growing up in Idaho. One of these things was watching animatronic bears perform "Black or White" by Michael Jackson in a dingy, noisy pizza parlor that's filled with screaming children covered in pizza grease and seizure-inducing arcade games. Even if there had been a Rock-afire Explosion in Idaho Falls, which I'm going to guess there wasn't, I wouldn't have seen it anyway. My mom didn't allow our family to patronize establishments like that. I distinctly remember her picking me up from a birthday party at a place like that once and telling me in the car on the way home, "Jaz, that is what Hell is like." That was probably the wrong thing to tell a kid because I immediately thought that, if that's really case, Hell rules.
Jake agreed to sit down with AD and talk a little more about the Rock-afire Explosion and what it meant to him.
AD: How old were you when you first encountered the Rock-afire Explosion?
Jake J. Michaelson: Probably 8 or 9.
AD: So the late '80s?
JJM: Yeah.
AD: Was it at a Showbiz Pizza Place?
JJM: Pistol Pete's Pizza.
AD: Your mom allowed you to enter these dens of sin?
JJM: Yeah. Actually, maybe she didn't even know about it. I don't think we ever went as a family. I think it was somebody else's party.
AD: But the Rock-afire Explosion made an impact on you.
JJM: Yes.
AD: Why was that?
JJM: There were a couple of reasons. They did a few songs I'd never heard before, for example "16 Tons" and now every time I hear that song I think of that big, creepy black gorilla singing it. I don't even know who actually sang it. More in general, I had very conflicting feelings because on one hand I was terrified. It looked like something out of a horror movie. Like "Chucky" or something. But I was also mesmerized by them. I couldn't look away.
AD: Judging from the trailer, it sounds like they had a pretty huge effect on some people. Does that surprise you?
JJM: Frankly, I did not know until I saw the trailer that it was a chain thing, so I had no idea there would've been such a cult following.
AD: Why were you so excited to see they were making a documentary about it?
JJM: It was really the people who were the fanatics about it. I found them more interesting than the animatronics. I was interested in the human story behind the Rock-afire Explosion show.
AD: Bull. You just want to see that gorilla again.
JJM: (ignores AD, continues surfing net on laptop and melts into mournful baritone rendition of "16 Tons")
AD: Yeah. That's what I thought.
JEM
P.S. After watching this video again, Jake just pointed out that this Chris Thrash guy absolutely IS J.F. Sebastian from "Blade Runner".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I don't even know what to say...
ReplyDeleteSo I am really happy that I just found your blog and gave me my laugh for the day. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteSCARY! Even Issie ( our dog) agrees with me, she started growling, she didn't like the gorillas......
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about your mom! And might I also say a couple things: 1) What the heck was with the hot blonde girl amongst the Animatronics geeks? AND 2) My favorite childhood memory was NOT seeing that singing gorilla...he gave me nightmares actually.
ReplyDeleteJaz,
ReplyDeleteWe are praying for your Mom to get feeling better soon. I took Aunt Bonnie up to see her on Wed. Your Mom was in good spirits. Your Dad was doing ok. We will keep checking on her and help out when we can.
melanie
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when the guy said Showbiz Pizza Place was "pretty much all" he had growing up. Seriously?
ReplyDeleteMy parents had no qualms about bringing us into so called dens of sin. We went to Pistol Pete's regularly, probably even for Family Home Evening. (Thinking about it, we usually went to the Pistol Pete's on Tropicana and Pecos, most likely the same den of sin that Jakester was allowed to enter.)
ReplyDeleteWhat I remember most about the singing robot animals was their rendition of "Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls." Very moving.
I am peeing my pants laughing. I of course loved Pistol Pete's Pizza and all the amazing entertainment it had to offer, but I had no idea that it would go this far! I love it! Your interview had me cracking up too. Thanks for sharing. I will probably be laughing for the rest of the day about this.
ReplyDelete