Before we left the States (exactly one year ago tomorrow), I knew that it was financially unlikely that I would set foot on American soil again during our three and a half years in Dresden. I mentally prepared myself to miss my youngest brother's LDS mission send-off, and I told my other brother, Ford, who will be 23 next month, that, should he meet the right girl and feel so inclined, he should not postpone a wedding for me. He said I had nothing to worry about, and from the vague reports I receive regarding his romantic exploits, I think that promise is holding.
We also had to prepare for death. As morbid as it sounds, Jake and I had to make peace with the distinct possibility that when we kissed our grandparents goodbye, it could be for the last time. That possibility has already become reality for us once, with the passing of Jake's beautiful grandmother last winter.
It hasn't been easy being absentees in the lives of the people we love, but it has been tolerable. Until now, nothing has happened that we didn't anticipate.
We didn't anticipate this.
Last Friday, July 4, my mom was in an accident. She and my dad were four-wheeling — their apparent favorite past time as empty-nesters — in Wyoming, when Mom attempted to turn her machine around on a precarious patch of trail and rolled it. By the time her spill was complete, she was pinned beneath the four-wheeler in a stream with several broken ribs, a broken ankle and (the worst of her injuries) a pelvis broken in four or five different places. My dad managed to get the four-wheeler off her, and she, despite spectacular pain, managed to pull herself out of the stream. Naturally, they were 30 miles from the main road, and cell phone reception was null. Fortunately, my dad found a ranger camp with a radio nearby and help soon arrived.
My mom was gingerly hauled to a small hospital in Jackson, Wyo., where she was checked into the ICU. She just left the ICU, but as far as I know, has yet to leave her bed or eat solid food. She goes in today for surgery on her ankle. My dad has been sleeping in their camper in the hospital's parking lot. They don't know yet when my mom will be stable enough to be shipped back to Idaho Falls, where my folks live, but when they do, Mom most certainly won't be going home. She's currently staring down the barrel of a long and painful rehabilitation that could last up to 6 months. She will make a full recovery, they're saying, (thank God) but it will be rough.
Meanwhile, I'm in Germany. Gnawing on my own insides.
JEM
P.S. Thanks so much to friends and family who may be reading this who have visited and checked up on my sweet mom. It's so comforting for me to know there are people caring for and looking out for my parents. I owe you all a lot.
JEM, I am so sorry to read about your mom. We will keep your family in our prayers. I wish we would have known earlier, we were just in Jackson and could have offered some help. Allison has a cousin who lives there and he would be happy to help if your parents need anything. Let us know, noahalriley@gmail.com.
ReplyDeleteWow, that's so scary. I'm glad that your mom is doing a little better. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine being so far away from my mom at a time like this. Chase just got accepted into grad school in Indiana (nothing at all compared to overseas) and I am definitely not looking forward to being so far away from family. I hope you both make it through ok. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.
ReplyDeleteJaz,
ReplyDeleteWe feel so bad about your mom. She and your dad have been in our thoughts and prayers!
Love,
Tiffany
I'm so sorry to hear about your moms accident. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you not to be able to rush to her!! We'll keep her in our prayers. If your parents need anything, Todd's family is in that area and I know they'd be happy to do you anything they can.
ReplyDeleteJaz, I just heard about your mom the other day. She will be in our prayers (as are you). Thank you for posting the details. I got it third-hand and wasn't sure how bad it was. The one thing I was saying to my mom though, is that if anyone can get through this, it's your mom. She's young, healthy, and determined.
ReplyDeleteWe're so sorry to hear about your mom. She must have caught some sweet air, though.
ReplyDeleteShe'll be better in no time.
Jaz and Jake, I'm so glad that she's okay! I'll keep her and the rest of the family in my prayers. If they need anything, just let me know. You remember my dad, Sam, well he's still a policeman and can make things happen. Like if Valene wants some cookie dough ice cream and a magazine right quick, Sam can provide Val with a lights and siren escort to the nearest grocery store. Which in their case is Winco behind the house, so it'll be quick trip anyway. But you get the idea, anything needed at all and my family would be happy to help! (Sam 208.317.4115) Wish I was closer! Take care and well wishes for Valene to have a speedy recovery.
ReplyDeleteJaz, I feel horible that I didn't even know about this. Oh my goodness, how is she now? I haven't checked your blog for a few days and I just feel terrible. Jake... you need to email us when stuff like this happens so we can increase the prayer value! I'd love to hear the update on hows she doing, and Jaz, how are you doing? It's hard to be far away when someone you love is hurting. Keep your chin up. We love you and your MOM!
ReplyDeleteOh Jaz! That is terrible!! I hope that her recovery is quick and as painless as possible. We love you and are keeping your family in our prayers.
ReplyDeleteHey Jasmine -
ReplyDeleteJust thinking of you and your family today - how is your mom doing? Well, I hope! She's in our prayers.
Best,
Allison & Noah
Jasmine, we will pray for your family. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom's accident, but know that Heavenly Father's hand is in your lives.
ReplyDelete