Thursday, January 15, 2009

Blessed


In the LDS Church, we don't baptize infants. We save that for the "age of accountability", which we believe to be 8. But we do perform a ritual for infants called, simply, the baby blessing, which is performed during Sunday services. It is performed by a priesthood-holder, usually the father or another relative of the baby. He takes the baby before the congregation and, with the aid of several other priesthood-holders who place their hands on the baby in the blesser's arms, pronounces a blessing on the baby. He gives the baby a name and blesses him or her with gifts and promises, following the spiritual promptings he receives.

Where we're from (the Mormon-heavy American West), the baby blessing is usually a pretty big affair. Relatives travel to be there and every priesthood-bearing uncle, cousin, brother, and friend in attendance stands in the circle to bless the baby. It's a nice metaphor, I guess, for the support system the child can expect going into life — being surrounded by all those strong arms and hands. But in our ward here in Dresden, which is the only LDS congregation in a city of about 500,000, baby blessings don't play out like that. The most men I've seen in a circle here is four or five, usually just the father, the grandfathers, and a member of the bishopric. I like this, as well. Compared with the spectacle American baby blessing can sometimes become, this version is very intimate and humble. I especially appreciate this tradition given our situation of being so far from our loved ones. I knew that the small blessing circle Jethro was bound to get here wouldn't look pitiable the way it would in the States.

Not a fan of the blessing tuxedo, apparently.

As it played out, though, the blessing wasn't as small as we'd anticipated. We managed to work it so that Jake could bless Jethro while my mom and our friends Ben and Missy were here, and Ben was able to stand in on the blessing, along with two members of our bishopric. Our guests also gave us a good excuse to have the blessing in English, which was probably sort of weird for most of the ward, but meant the world to me. Jake was more nervous than I'd ever seen him before the blessing, but it was beautiful. Among other things, Jake blessed Jethro with sharpened senses, heightened perception, discernment between good and evil, influence over others and a keen intellect balanced by a compassionate heart.

These things have been floating in the back of my mind ever since the blessing. I get so busy cleaning up after, soothing and playing with this little guy, I sometimes find myself thinking of him almost as a pet. I forget that he's an actual, distinct, brand new person. This baby (still making sense of his small body) will eventually grow into a man who will go into the world and do great things. It makes me feel like I'm holding a fantastic secret, that, for the time being, is all mine to enjoy.




JEM

8 comments:

  1. Great post, Jaz. Thanks for sharing the details with those of us from the Mormon-saturated-American-West. Jetty (still trying to find my own nickel name for him) looks very handsome in his mini-tux. And I LOVE the pic of your family. You guys give Seal and Heidi Klum a run for their money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Melissa's comment. Your family oozes gorgeousness.

    What a sweet experience for you guys and your mom. I'm glad she got to be there for it. It's kind of funny to think about the rest of the ward listening to the English blessing. :)

    Excellent commentary on babies vs. pets. I like thinking of each baby as a secret.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jethro looks so cute in his tux! I wish we could've been there... Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you about the secret. I think therein lies the privilege of motherhood. Only you and God know how amazing and beautiful and full of potential your child is. No one else gets it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet post, you have a beautiful perspective on motherhood. I love the little tuxedo, he looks adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such wonderful thoughts on the blessings of motherhood. I love the little tux - Jethro is such a handsome guy. I also wanted to say about the hairdo post that I think you are gorgeous & lucky to be able to pull of such trendy do'. I definitely could not! :)

    ReplyDelete