Monday, February 8, 2010

All Dressed up ...

It's probably classifiable as some sort of disorder, but I'm willing to admit that I'm 26 years old and I love dressing up in costumes.

I was one of those morons in high school who lived for spirit week. (Dear Germans: In America public high schools have sports teams and mascots and cultivate a strong sense of loyalty and enthusiasm we call "school spirit". Many schools designate one week each year as "spirit week" in which students are invited to exhibit their spirit by dressing up like idiots with themes like "Hippie Day", "Crazy Hair Day", and "Backwards Day". Cool kids generally avoid participation. I participated to a humiliating degree.) And I was literally the only person in the newsroom of my last American employer who would dress up for work on Halloween. I didn't realize this would be the case the first year. After that I knew it would be the case, but I did it anyway.

I take my costuming seriously. Which does not mean that my costumes have always been good. Case in point: The Sheet Angel fiasco of Halloween 2004.

It does, however, mean that I try to put genuine effort in my costumes, and I generally get a good laugh out of the final product. And sometimes it does work, see Exhibit A: Jake and I partying as Mr. and Mrs. Macphisto, Halloween 2003:

(For the uninitiated, Macphisto was an alter-ego of Bono's during the early '90s ...)

That herculean effort of spray painting an entire suit gold unfortunately drained Jake, and all my costuming efforts since have been on my own with Jake rolling his eyes behind me with love.

ANYWAY, the thing is, Germany doesn't really do Halloween. It's coming gradually. But it's not a real nationally embraced thing yet. (Interesting tidbit: I heard that Germany's first real introduction to Halloween was via the film "E.T. the Extraterrestrial", and it's been slowly gaining steam ever since.) Germany's costume holiday is Fasching, a.k.a. Carnivale, a.k.a. Mardi Gras, a.k.a. Fat Tuesday. I didn't realize this our first year here, and when I went to our church's kids' Fasching party to help out, I found to my horror that I was the only person without a costume. I was mortified. Last Fasching I was unable to participate again because of Jethro reasons. And so this year I had some serious catch-up to do. And for the first time in seven years, I had a partner in crime — whether he liked it or not. So at the church party on Saturday (actual Fasching is Feb. 16), this was me and Jethro:


Spock to Enterprise: My mother is a sick, sick woman.


Yeah, yeah, I know Spock is supposed to have two gold bands on his sleeves but I ran out of trim, OK?

I understand now why chicks in '60s only washed their hair once a week.

On another Fasching-related note, I'd just like to observe that as far as I can tell, the top three Fasching costumes here, with adults and kids alike seem to be cowboy, American Indian, and clown. As an American, I think the first two are so random. Not that cowboy and Indian aren't fine costumes, I'm just not sure why Germans have adopted them. The clown just further deepens my conviction that not enough Germans have become acquainted with "It". The clown motif is a really common one here with kids toys and decorations. These people genuinely seem to like clowns. No clown toys in my house, though. *shudder*

Happy Fasching, all. Back to my mothership.



JEM

16 comments:

  1. Hottest costume ever (although the Macphisto extravaganza was an extremely attractive look for both you and the Jakester).

    Also, I want to have a baby right now. Just so I can make us coordinating costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome! I love costumes too. And Spencer wanted me to say that he went as Bono's alter ego for one Haloween...or maybe a U2 concert. Can't remember which. Keep on bloggin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Klasse Kostüm! Das macht zwei verpasste Jahre auf alle Fälle wett. Obwohl ich eure Macphisto- Verkleidung noch besser fand (allerdings wäre ich nie auf die Idee gekommen, dass das Jake ist- er sieht ganz anders aus).
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My Goodness!!!! That was an adorable post!!! Thanks for all the background. I'd just like to say that you are much more beatiful than Ohura and Jethro is definitely more handsome than Spock. Beam me up, Scottie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS You and Jake were quite scary as the Bono alter ego.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love them!! Especially the details like his enhanced eyebrows. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am totally impressed. I didn't know your hair could do that. Jethro looks great and I am proud to know say that you were always who I wanted to out do on spirit week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jaz, I'm glad to find another adult who loves dressing up as much as I do. You and Jethro would have been great on the Enterprise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jethro is a doll! You two look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jaz, I too am glad that we share a love of dressing up. I thouroughly enjoyed dressing up as bat girl last Halloween. I wish I would've thought of the Star Trek costume though. You guys are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jaz, was that your real hair or a wig? You two look great! It's nice now that you have a partner in crime again. Is Jake just getting too old and civilized for this stuff now?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too shudder at clowns. shudder twice. I am really trying to get into dress ups... still working on it. I like it once I get there but coming up with ideas is daunting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. Your costumes look amazing! And as always, you keep me laughing. I'm very impressed with the gold suit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha. you guys look so cute!! you'll have to mail me that costume so i can steal it for halloween this year! oh jaz, what would the germans do without you?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome Jazzy. I could just reach through the screen and pinch little Jethro. All my kids gathered around and said, "ahh, he's so cute and getting so big!"
    I love that you love dressing up!

    ReplyDelete