Thursday, June 24, 2010

Fahrrad

Jake got me a bike.
 Her name is ...
But you can call her ...
 She has a rearview mirror and a headlight and a little generator to power the headlight.
 
 And she appears to be pretty authentic DDR.
I think she's great. Thing is, I haven't really ridden a bike in like 10 years, and I can tell you that riding a bike isn't really like "riding a bike". In fact, I'd love to meet the person who came up with that saying and invite them to ride on my handlebars. I can't believe how wobbly and nervous I am when I ride now. Of course, I'm sure that has nothing to do with cargo I'm carrying along with me this time. Jethro always wears his helmet, of course, but knowing his well-being is reliant on my balance and awareness is a little crippling. He also adds a fair amount of weight that makes going up inclines nearly impossible for me. But we're trying. And I keep thinking, if all these 70-plus-year-old Germans I see riding everywhere can work it out, so can I. Right?



JEM

6 comments:

  1. Go Jaz Go! I had a bike and rode it around Jyväskylä until my pregnant belly got in the way of my knees. It was hard at first and I was not very coordinated, but by the end I fell in love with it. Plus, my legs never looked so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I love reading your blog. You are such a fabulous write. Second, I can totally relate to the bike stuff. We got a bike seat for Olivia and I am totally wobbly and paranoid about riding with her and I have never been scared to ride my bike before. It is strange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wie toll! Lass uns einen Fahrradausflug machen!
    Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm, maybe you could hook that generator up to the pedals somehow and just focus on steering. I bet Jake's up for it. he's mechanical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I'm so happy for you. Maybe a bit wobbly at first, but makes you feel light as air and free as a bird again, doesn't it? I think every mom needs a bike. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a nice-looking bike! i'm with you all the way on the wobblies.

    ReplyDelete