Thursday, June 24, 2010

Fieldtrip: Pillnitz

This is Pillnitz.

It's a collection of palaces and grounds located on the east edge of Dresden dating back to the late 1600s, though it's seen its fair share of redecorations, remodels, and reconstructions since then.
Located pretty far from the bustling city center, Pillnitz served as summer residence for Saxony's royalty and also as home to at least two particularly beloved mistresses of Saxony's kings.
The Japanese and Chinese influence is unmistakable, but there's still some Baroque in there, in keeping with the royal family's go-to aesthetic.

 It's a quiet place located right on the Elbe River, and can be reached by ferry.
 And it has a hedge maze.

And on a summer weekday morning, you may there find a plentitude of gray-haired leisure-seekers in khaki jackets and sandals with socks, a photo-snapping gang of Japanese tourists, and these two — a woman and her child widowed and orphaned, respectively, by science.





In loving memory of my darling Jake who has been brainwashed by a doctoral thesis and dragged away by a grizzly band of academics. I guess we had a pretty good run.



JEM

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Jaz...this looks BEAUTIFUL! One of my favoriate things to do in Phili when I visited Laura recently was tour the old mansions there. I would have been in HEAVEN to see this palace. It looks awesome. ps, I think I've fallen in love (again) with Jethro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, Jaz, I was thinking, "Oooh, is Jaz taking us to the Orient now???!!!" Pretty amazing blend of styles there. Thanks for always taking us on the most refreshing (and convenient for me) tours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a friend of the Kuttkes, and they referred me to your blog. I have so many fond memories of my (short) time in Dresden; it is fun to see your pictures. The gardens at Pillnitz are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you and your son are ADORABLE!

    dating a biomedical engineer (student) myself. wish the simulations could simulate themselves.

    ReplyDelete