Monday, September 10, 2007

Con 1: slugs

I've been meaning to start an ongoing pro and con list of life here in Germany. And since I'm having kind of a crummy day after getting splashed by a big truck while waiting at a bus stop in the rain, we're going to kick it all off with a con: slugs.

When I was little my family moved from Eastern Idaho to Washington state, where we lived for two years before returning to the same Idaho town. During those two years I acquired a phobia of slugs that, I kid you not, borders on clinical. I remember walking with my family down a trail in the woods one foggy day (could've been any day) and spotting a little black slug. Then, like in a horror movie, the camera panned out and I realized they were EVERYWHERE. They were on every tree, every rock, all over the trail. I was completely surrounded. I stood there, frozen, and screamed and screamed. My dad had to carry me out.

This phobia perpetuates. However, I've been able to avoid slugs by living in dry climates. Until now. They're everywhere. And most of them are fat and orange. I had a nightmare a couple of weeks ago that one was wrapped around my wrist. So far I haven't had to be carried anywhere, but don't put it past me.



JEM

5 comments:

  1. Okay. I have to tell you that it freaked me out to open your page and see a slug! Just this morning there was one identical to the one on your post that was crawling out of our planter box! I made Kurt kill it, I couldn't even watch. Just thinking about it gives me goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's gross and huge. Too huge.

    We have had a few ginormous cockroaches that come out of hiding to lay on our counters and die. I had to go get the 11-year old neighbor boy to dispose of one for me.

    Ben took care of one, but only after shoving me out of the way since I had become literally petrified.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello miss JAZ. I have to tell you that it's really fun to see where you are! I've wondered how you are a handful of times in the last few months.

    Good luck with the slugs. That is pretty nasty I must say. Sick, Sick, sick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaz

    I remember the slugs. I hated them. The completely saturated our daily walk into the city in Stadt Gera. I always kicked them to the side and I murdered a few.

    Then one day I noticed an old man carefully picking up the suicidal sidewalk slugs and placing them in the safety of the foliage.

    Suddenly I felt ashamed of the slug blood on my hand.

    Now mind you I had just come from a members house where our spiritual thought consisted of reading that maudlin starfish story.

    You know the one where the little boy says something like "If I can save just this one starfish" (so dramatisch) and I suppose we likened it to our missionary efforts to save just one soul.

    Anyhow in this hyped up strange missionary state I heard the old man saying "If can save just this one slug" and that was it for me. I didn't save them but I didn't kill them anymore.

    Your blog sparked this random memory and I thought you'd enjoy!

    Keep blogging!

    Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Shit! Seriously I thought I was the only one. My phobia started when I was a little girl, a barefoot tomboy running around outside one night and stepped on a huge juicy one. My father had to scrape it off why i was (blood-kurdling) screaming... All my friends think im crazy, and when i see one I freeze... but I cant look away bc when u look away, and look back, there like a whole foot away in a second. I know they seem to travel like .0000000001 inch per hour, but they're actually pretty fast. When I see 1 outside and my animals are around... I dont want them to move either, scared that they will step on or roll on the slug and bring it in.... AGH. Plus after I see one, for the rest of the day, im constantly looking around and watching where I step, in the house even... I have no clue, if there is a god, why hey would want to create such a demon creature...

    ReplyDelete