Saturday, September 22, 2007

You are now entering the Twilight Zone ...




Yes, that is a USA aisle at the international foods store here. I couldn't stop smiling when I bumped into it the other day. I often wonder what it actually means to be "American," culturally, to an outsider. What is our bratwurst and sauerkraut? Our tea and crumpets? I can't say I can argue with the store's picks: Pop Tarts, Orville Redenbacher's microwave popcorn, yellow mustard, relish, marshmallows, peanut butter, maple syrup, barbecue sauce, Betty Crocker cake mixes. I think that's why it made me smile so much — they were dead on. Everything reminded me of home. It all seemed so normal and ordinary, and seeing it in this context, as a "foreign food," all at once made me feel very far away. Like light years.

Another interesting thing here: Take a look at the prices on these things. Taking into account that $100 equals about 70 Euros, that would make this Betty Crocker brownie mix roughly $7 or $8. But the Pam really blew me away — almost 7 Euros, nearly $10! For Pam Cooking Spray?! Where are we? Mars?



JEM

3 comments:

  1. That is awesome! You know what you should do... write your grocery list and email it to your mom and have her mail the stuff to you... it just might be cheaper. :)

    PS - did you end up with any "American" goods in your basket?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I'm learning that "When in Rome do as the Romans" is the best method to eating in a foreign country. And it's a heck of a lot cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! That is so funny! If I was you I would be eating all the brats that I could- I love them!

    ReplyDelete