Although I'm not currently working as a journalist, I still consider myself one and try to hold myself to the standards I like to think good journalists hold themselves to, namely keeping my personal political opinions private. I'm not opposed to sharing them in private, but I try to avoid broadcasting them to the universe.That's why I wasn't going to bring this up at all.
But for the last couple of days I've had the almost irresistible urge to elbow strangers in public and, beaming, say, "Hey! I'm an American! Did you hear what we did?" And I just realized that this feeling has nothing to do with my personal political opinions — but, rather, everything to do with my homeland proving, yet again, that anything is possible on its soil.

And I'm proud of us.
JEM
P.S. Here's a great (and short) piece about how, all of a sudden, being an American in Europe is OK.
Hmmm. That's almost funny how similar the beginning of your post is to the one I wrote last night. Journalistic minds think alike, I guess.
ReplyDeleteCool link. I think it's awesome that you're seeing this all from such a view.
It's a good feeling, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to find a post written by a Mormon that is positive about how great it is that America has come this far!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the baby...believe me...they do come out eventually....although it doesn't always seem like it!
Sharon Waite Semon (Doug Waite's little sister, Sister Waite's daughter, Mr. Waite's daughter, Lara Jensen Mortensen's friend, etc.....just so you know who I am!)
I love this post - I haven't heard much that's positive from my Idaho friends about this election. I think people who disagree with Obama are forgetting how incredible it is that he was elected. I am very proud of us.
ReplyDelete@Anonymous: I think I'm right in sensing some cynicism/sarcasm there. Let me make sure I'm getting your point. So, America elects its first black president ever in one of the most heated presidential contests in recent memory — one that has been watched with unprecedented interest throughout the world — and you're offended that newspapers have the nerve *gasp!* to put it on the front page?
ReplyDeleteThere is *too* such a thing as the liberal media elite! Don't make me get maverick-y up in here! (wink)
ReplyDeleteWas that really Sarah Palin? I liked your thoughts and agree with them. I talked about it with all my clients for the last couple of days and though they were split in the way they voted, they all agreed that it was truly an American miracle.
ReplyDeleteJaz, as I reread my comment, I meant I agreed with your thoughts.
ReplyDeleteJaz, I too have been overwhelmed by the urge to announce to people that I am an American, and I'm thrilled!!!! My Moroccan students asked me about it, and I was able to cheer in the classroom. It was a very satisfying feeling. I'm proud of us too.
ReplyDeleteI feel like stopping AMERICANS on the street and saying that same thing. We have come a long way.
ReplyDeleteOh, and I have been wondering why I am having such a hard time posting my political views on my blog. After reading this, it totally dawned on me. I guess there is still a little bit of journalist in me after all.
I'm proud of us too!
ReplyDelete