I grossly underestimated how much time a new mom spends with her can glued to the couch. I haven't actually worked it out, but I'd guess that on average I now spend about two-thirds of my waking hours sitting on the couch.
I think this would drive a lot of people nuts, but lucky for me, couch-sitting is something I've always done remarkably well. It's integral to almost all of my primary hobbies: knitting, guitar playing, movie and TV watching, reading, and couch sitting. The thing is, now, my couch sitting is accompanied by my hands being occupied. And usually sticky with milk and baby puke. So that means that, most of the time, knitting, guitar playing, and reading are off the list. Oh yeah, and we don't have a television. But (thank the heavens), about a week before the birth, Jake — in all his unparalleled brilliance — figured out how to get us American television.
Normally, videos on sites like hulu.com and all the network sites aren't available to us because the Internet fairies tell them that we're not in America and some sort of legal-copyright hullabaloo makes viewing the videos in other countries illegal. Or something. Anyway, turns out, the trick is getting a server in the States and routing your traffic through that. You'll have to ask Jake for the details if you're interested. All I know is that now I can watch TV. And, boy, do I watch a lot. Random stuff. Stuff I never watched before. And I have a new favorite show.
Seriously. You should watch "Family Ties" again. They have a kajillion episodes here on cbs.com. It is a fantastic show. You'll thank me.
Michael J. Fox aside, though, all the guilt-free time on the couch is made even better by the fact that much of it is just spent snuggling this:
hiccup from Jasmine Michaelson on Vimeo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
if you like sci fi at all you might like fringe. it's kind of addicting too. in a month or two you'll be able to read again...a lot.
ReplyDeleteJaz...I remember those days well. Lots of TB (tired bum) from just sitting. Anyway, I quite liked an excuse to slow down since I don't "sit" very well on my own. I'm glad you're enjoying it, too. Thanks for reminding me about "Family Ties." I miss that show. Another one I highly recommend is "Wonder Years." Anyone know how to get a hold of those episodes??? I've been dying to own them all on DVD someday. I loved being able to listen to Jethro's hiccups. Thanks for posting that. He has such beautiful eyes. I can't wait to watch how he changes week by week. Love you all!
ReplyDeleteI want to watch the office. Boohoo! Tell Jake to email me with instructions, pronto! :)
ReplyDeleteSo I'm pretty sure you and baby look amazing. I hope you're getting enough sleep and that you're happy. :)
Is it weird that those hiccups are some of the cutest things I have ever seen/heard? LOVED the video.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, you look AMAZING! Motherhood really agrees with you...
New to Family Ties!!? It was a family favorite in my household growing up. Fun fact, Mallory is played by Justine Bateman, older sister to Jason Bateman from Arrested Development. She had a bit part in Arrested Development as Nellie Bluth. Anyway, see you in a few weeks!
ReplyDeleteAnonymous is Ben
ReplyDeleteBen, only the Jaz half of this couple is new to Family Ties. It was a staple - in fact, my 6-year-old self had a major crush on Mallory. Then that Nick character came along. She could have done so much better.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, we're only getting started with the Jason Bateman trivia - try watching a few episodes of Silver Spoons (which I was crushed that Jaz didn't mention in this post, since we've been devouring it). Bateman at his finest as Ricky's slimy friend.
@Amy - looks like people have been commenting like crazy here for years - to no avail (yet). That was an awesome show, though.
Beautiful. What a darling boy! I remember when Matthew and David were babies. We would just sit and watch them play. Now, we rarely get to couch-sit. Sometime . . . eventually. Glad you're enjoying Jethro.
ReplyDeleteI kinda can't believe I just watched a baby with the hiccups for over a minute and a half... and loved it.
ReplyDeleteinternet tv rocks.
@ melissa - yeah that probably could have been edited down a little
ReplyDeleteI worked an overnight shift in the dorms one year when I was in college, and I spent all night watching internet tv - and "Family Ties" was a staple. Still hilarious, all these years later! I've heard that the problem with "The Wonder Years" is that, because of all the music used in the show, they have been unable to secure royalties for a DVD set, and they're not optimistic for the future.
ReplyDeleteI'm also a champion couch sitter! Yay for creative Jake and his talents in getting American internet tv. I struggled with that when living overseas, but I quickly recovered and made up for lost time when we moved back!
ReplyDeleteWEll, now I think I'll just call him "my little hiccup."
ReplyDeleteJaz, Adam and I decided that now that you have a Jethro and TV your blog has been tossed to the way of less important things. Just kidding. We miss you and wish we could give you hugs in person. Here's a cyber hug for me. /\
ReplyDeleteHow is post-partum life treating you?