Tuesday, August 19, 2008

FIELDTRIP! Flea Market on the Elbe


One last FIELDTRIP! before I leave you. On Saturdays when we have nothing else to do, Jake and I like to visit this flea market on the bank of the Elbe River, just a few blocks upstream of the Old City.



I'm a fan of looking at old junk no matter where I am. But it's particularly interesting in a different country, especially one with a recent history as fascinating as East Germany's.

You've got some World War I stuff ...

The World in Flames

Although that stuff is a little harder to come by. And, of course, you've got loads of World War II stuff.


Notice the placement of the price sticker on the notebook. Vendors go to great lengths to hide all the swastikas behind stickers or tape because, since WWII, with some artistic and educational exceptions, it is illegal to publicly display a swastika — and the punishments are stiff: up to three years in the slammer. But since the WWII paraphernalia at flea markets here is so abundant, and so plastered with the now-taboo symbol, there are always bound to be a couple here and there that get missed.


The flea market also, always, has plenty of communist-era stuff. Like this picture of Lenin.


Lenin-magnification:


And stuff like this ...


And this GDR military belt I bought for my younger brother, Ford. The symbol of the GDR was the hammer and compass, not to be confused with Russia's hammer and sickle.


But really, there's just no end to the strange delights.

Zeppelin World Travel

Power supplies from the 1950s (the kind of thing Jake likes to look at)







Here's a little gem Jake picked up during a recent visit.


He calls this little military-issue bag his "Indiana Jones" bag.

I call it his man purse. You know, tomayto, tomahto.

Kidding, I actually think it's cool and masculine and am delighted that I no longer have to carry his wallet in my purse when his butt gets tired.

This lady we saw from the tram leaving the flea market one Saturday apparently also made a golden find:


Jazzy-magnification:


This was my golden find:

German man-gams. Mmmmm.

Well, have a great week, kids. I want you all to be on your best behavior for the babysitter. Your father and I will be back soon with plenty of fun souvenirs for you from our trip. I'll miss you.



Love,
JEM

10 comments:

  1. I totally HAD that military bag when I was a missionary. I loved it. Its seams eventually burst from carrying too many books, but it was great while it lasted.

    I love the pictures, it looks so flea-marketesque. They sure know how to do things authentically in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart the flea market. I heart the Indiana Jones bag. I especially heart the price stickers over the now offensive symbols. Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog make-over. I can actually read without squinting my eyes now (bigger font, light-colored background)...I'm just getting old. I love this flea-market tour. I can't believe all this old stuff!! Do you think these things are worth some dough? Maybe this can be your new money making scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jake how are you? I'm glad you found me. I love your blog! And about my Chevelle I have a 554 big block! (I think) I've blown so many it's hard to keep track of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun flea market! It's quite fascinating to see so much history on a bunch of random tables. Do people typically speak English wherever you go or do you have to use a German dictionary--how does that work??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jaz, I loved the flea market. It reminded me of "junking." This was one day per month when people would put out the stuff they didn't want anymore and anyone could go through it. One December, I found all the kids Christmas presents around the neighborhood. It was great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love looking at old stuff. It sure beats the Thrift stores in Sandy Utah.

    And by the way, Jake could easily be Indiana Jones. Easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jake Michaelson. . . I always knew you would grow up to be such an important person in the world!! I can honestly say that you and Jessica Cabalza are the two smartest people I know (don't tell my husband I said that). It looks like you and your wife are having a great time in Germany- when is your baby due?

    ReplyDelete
  9. ewww, did you read mom's comment... that she found our Christmas presents in someone's trash? :) That's gonna get some mileage. Jake, I love your bag- makes me wonder who used to wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many cool finds! Just like you said, flea markets are cool anywhere but I can only imagine how cool the stuff is in Germany. Wow! I like your golden find!

    ReplyDelete