Monday, August 11, 2008

The Mind of My Jake


There are a lot of benefits to marrying a geek. Prominent among them are that he can fix virtually anything and that he can build incredible gadgets that make life more convenient. (He once built us our very own DVR from scratch, but that's another story for another day.)

But one of the things that I love most about my geek husband is that his brain never turns off. He is a thinker who never tires of learning, which is something that struck me at first as a little bit OCD, but which I now find incredibly admirable and hope eventually will rub off on me. Nothing is too big or too mundane for him to tackle in his constant pursuit of information. His mental science and technology database is staggering, but his interests venture far beyond that. He carries with him a baffling knowledge of Greek mythology, thanks to a one-time childhood obsession, and can also give you a brief history of the advent of the hamburger. (The meat patty was apparently invented by Genghis Khan. Who knew?) His vast knowledge base makes him a terrifying opponent in Trivial Pursuit and once prompted a friend to say that if Jake confessed to being an android, he actually wouldn't be surprised.

My point here being: Jake's brain is a fascinating place. That's why I'm recommending his blog, chlorine.tumblr.com, which is less online diary and more stream-of-consciousness snapshot album. He usually updates multiple times a day, and his almost wordless posts offer links to scientific breakthroughs and other quirky and interesting tidbits, scriptural passages, and images he likes ranging from Renaissance art to modern architecture to Rita Hayworth.

One running feature is his slashaikus, which are haikus created from the text of slashdot (a premier science and technology blog) articles. Jake recently wrote a computer program as an experiment that constantly combs the site for five-syllable-seven-syllable-five-syllable word combinations. It automatically compiles the results, and Jake sorts through them and posts his favorites, which are equal parts hilarious and profound — but all weird.

So anyway, check it out. You'll feel smarter. I always do.



JEM

8 comments:

  1. I am so subscribed to the feed. I already feel more smarter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. didn't know about his blog... I'll have to check it out. Jake, you are a very lovable geek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jasmine,

    About a year and half ago, I sat in one of the windowless corners of the HJ office where I was the intern. I knew your name, I knew your hair, but I don't think I ever spoke with you.

    I'm Molly Farmer, and I've been reading your blog religiously for the past few months. I think it's fantastic. And considering our slight acquaintanceship, I hope you don't fear me for saying so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaz, this is fabulous...all these posts. Sometimes I feel like I'm reading a blog written by someone who lived through the hippy era. You're much older-sounding than you are (that's a compliment). Loved your video performance. Congrats on getting your hair that long. Thanks for Jake's website...I had no idea. Wow, I might need a lesson in navigation though. Jake looks like he's continuing to trim down...must be the sledgehammer? You both look great. Thanks for the info. I always come away from your blog feeling more and more ignorant. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Molly! You are very welcome here. Why didn't we talk ever at the HJ? It's weird. I always thought you were really funny and loved the stuff you wrote. I think I was worried it would be a case of us discovering we were too much alike and therefore having to become arch-nemeses. Anyway, I've actually tried to get on your blog a couple of times through Aaron's. Can you add me? My e-mail address is jasmine.michaelson@gmail.com. I'm sure it's fabulous. —Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm headed right now to Jake's blog. Just remember, he came from me and dad. He some kind of quirky mix of us both mostly what we didn't know we had.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ps, where was the comment page for Jake's blog? I wanted to mentally spar with him. The only ones I recognized were Jaz and Rita hayworth. mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. @mom:

    there are no comments - which is on purpose. It's a one-way thing; mostly as a brainstorm board for me. I hope it sparks thoughts (random or otherwise) in others, but I wanted to keep it as terse as possible, so no comments for the foreseeable future.

    @amy: the interface can be confusing. Most of the posts are photos and have three different clickable areas:
    1. the photo
    2. hover over the photo, and a '+' appears - clicking this takes you to a permalink of the entry
    3. I always leave at least one link in the caption, which usually leads somewhere other than where you'd end up by clicking on the photo (okay sometimes).

    With all other types of posts you can just click on the date to get to a permalink.

    Also, there are tags:

    http://chlorine.tumblr.com/tagged/humans
    http://chlorine.tumblr.com/tagged/science
    http://chlorine.tumblr.com/tagged/art
    http://chlorine.tumblr.com/tagged/chlorine
    http://chlorine.tumblr.com/tagged/spirit

    etc... I'm still figuring a lot of this out, but I really like tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete