We're back! And I apologize up front, but I'm going to have to dedicate at least two gigantic posts to the last week. I will do my very best to avoid waxing terribly obnoxious and cliché, but we had such a fantastic time in Paris and Amsterdam, it will be difficult. So, consider yourself warned.
Let's start the show.
First of all, I need to talk about sleeper trains. I've always fantasized about taking an overnight train. I envisioned it being like a Carey Grant movie — romantic and mysterious, etc., etc. And maybe in first class it is. But in second class, it's like this:
"If we let you have your own room, we'd have to give everybody their own room," said the ticket checker.
"What would be wrong with that?" said Jake.
"You paid to sleep in a six-person room," said the ticket checker.
"So if there were six people on the whole train, you'd put them all in the same cabin," said Jake.
"Yes," said the ticket checker.
Ah, Germany. Where the customer is always wrong. Though, I should give the ticket checker a little credit. He eventually did have mercy on us and allow us to move from the room with the two 300-pound men who reeked of stale tobacco and cigarettes to the room with two less-offensive-smelling Swiss backpackers, who stripped down to their skivvies once the lights were out and climbed into the same bunk right above me. I was pretty sure I was going to be privy to a show I would've had to pay at least $10 to witness in Amsterdam, but either they behaved themselves or were extra-stealthy. Either way, I didn't have to take lit matches to my eyes and ears, which is always a win in my book.
But we made the most of it and survived, although I'm not sure sleeping on a 3-inch-thick foam mattress on a plywood bookshelf was the best thing ever for my pregnant back. Junior sure had a good time, though, and I've got the bruised ribs to prove it.
At any rate, we eventually got to Paris.
We figured we'd filled our art quota by the time we got out of there, and weren't planning on visiting the nearby Orsay Museum, which focuses on the Impressionists, at all. But, lo and behold, the next day there was a torrential downpour, so we went, mostly just to dry off for a couple of hours.
It seemed like every room we walked into, there was at least one painting we recognized.
We forgave France, though, after eating this:
In an effort to see a different side of Paris, we trekked out to the business district, which happens to be the largest business district in Europe. It's pretty far from the touristy part of town and since we were there on a Saturday and Europeans no likey working on weekends, the place was a ghost town, which was pretty cool in a sort of post-Apocalyptic way.
Other cool things included Notre Dame:
We were also big fans of the Cité Metro station and its weird green lighting:
But it feels like I'm forgetting something ...
We had to drown our disappointment in chocolate-banana-whipped-cream crépes, which worked like magic. But, in any case, I'll prefer to remember the Eiffel as she was by day.
The truth is, though, Paris was anything but disappointing. And we went in sort of expecting to be disappointed. I mean, how can any city really be the most beautiful city on Earth? It's gotta be all hype, right? No place can be that amazing.
But my last night in Paris, this is the T-shirt I slept in:
Without even the slightest hint of sarcasm.
Final thoughts on Paris:
— The people were not nearly as rude as the stereotypes would have you believe. In fact, twice in one day, French people on the Metro offered me their seats without hesitation. That's never happened to me in Dresden, and I don't expect it ever will. There was also a really sweet grocery store manager who let us use the store's bathroom, which was clearly not for customers, when we found ourselves desperately searching relief in the abandoned business district. That also would never happen in Germany.
— Madame Miles, wherever you are, you'll be delighted to know I got to brush off my 10-year-old high school French and say some stuff to real live French people who actually understood what I was saying. It was quite a thrill.
In conclusion, Paris is great and everybody should go there.
JEM
P.S. I'll be back tomorrow with all the news that's fit to print on Amsterdam. And some stuff that's not really fit to print. I mean, c'mon, it's Amsterdam.
Jake and Jasmine... you had so much fun!!!! Paris looks amazing! I love your pictures- you both look handsome and beautiful. Yes, it did look a lot like Dresden, only on steriods (you described it perfectly). I can't believe that about your overnight train ride. I can only imagine the smell. As we experienced last week, Europeans are not big on the whole deodorant thing (maybe you two are immune to it by now). I was gagging just thinking about it. Miss you terribly. ps... thank you for sharing all the art pieces... that was really fun to see VanGogh and Lisa in almost real life. Were you aloud to take pics or was that a stealth move on your part, Jake?
ReplyDeleteLaura - in the Loeuvre people are allowed to take pictures wherever you want - that was one of the awesome things about the museum, and the Orsay for that matter. We weren't so lucky with the other museums in Amsterdam, though.
ReplyDeleteEverything about this post made me want to scream , "Yes, yes, yes!!!!!""
ReplyDeleteSleeper trains! I had my first experience in Vietnam. I was shocked that the cabins are coed! I spent that night on the bunk below an Asian business man who was not fully clothed. Yikes! Thanks to some good ear plugs and sleeping pills, I made it through the night. (There was one middle of the night bathroom trip that was interesting due to the rocking motion of the train...)
I heart the Louvre and the Orsay. I could spent years at either place. Like you, I wasn't overly excited about the Orsay, but I ended up loving it. I gained a real appreciation for Impressionist art there. I also heart crepes. And banana splits. I made it a point to find the best ice cream in every city we were in. I didn't try Berthillon ice cream when I was in Paris. Now I'm disappointed. I currently maintain that the best ice cream in the world is Italian gelato. I will have to hold a tie breaker contest sometime.
Your trip looks awesome! Can't wait to see more!
Mom and I are so jealous. The whole experience sounds wonderful, even the sleeper cars. I had a couple of people in the shop the other day that were from the Netherlands. They were touring the U.S. for nine weeks and were three weeks into it. When I mentioned that the two of you were probably in Amsterdam on that same day it opened up quite a conversation. They were very interesting and funny. I hope everyone you met there were just like them.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Dad
It's funny that your sleeper car was less than magical. I rode one from Paris to Madrid and found it enchanting. But maybe that was because I was a silly 16 year old. And just to make a point on how silly... I was very disappointed on the Eiffel Tower being brown. I was expecting black, or pewter, or something. meh.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to hear about Amsterdam!
I once took a sleeper train from Naples to Sicily. It was easily 100 degrees inside, and I think I slept about 15 minutes out of the entire night! I am so happy that you go to go to Paris - your pictures turned out awesome!
ReplyDeleteJaz! Looks like you had a great time. Paris is so beautiful it's hard to describe. You did a great job. The food, the buildings, everything there is just incredible. I am glad you got to go to the Orsay, it is one of my favorite museums ever. I thought it kicked the Lourve's behind. You are such a funny writer, I can't wait for Amsterdam!
ReplyDeleteP.S. Your bump is so cute! He'll be glad he is in these pictures someday!
That first picture is def fromage, it might even be tres fromage!
ReplyDeleteParis is an amazing city, next time I'm in France I'm going to tell Eddie that we have to stay for more than 8 hours!