Say hello to the end of the world:
This is the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland. This is how big it is:
Entirely underground, this single machine spans about 17 miles. It has been built by CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, to crash tiny subatomic particles called hadrons into each other, using giant magnets, at just under the speed of the light. These particles will explode, theoretically creating 100,000 times more heat than the sun — though only for the smallest fraction of a second and on a far smaller scale (the area of the explosion will be about a billionth part of a speck of dust).
CERN scientists believe this could help them recreate conditions similar to the Big Bang, on a very miniaturized scale, thereby gaining a greater understanding of — well, everything. Terms that come up with the Large Hadron Collider tend to be pretty grandiose — discovery of the "God particle", for example, or the development of a legitimate "Theory of Everything".So, theoretically that's what this thing will do.
Theoretically.Thing is, they don't really know what it will do because they haven't actually tried it out yet. That's why other scientists have petitioned to halt the project. They fear turning this thing on could create a black hole. To which Professor Sir Chris Llewellyn Smith of CERN replied, "The chance we produce a black hole is minuscule. ... Even if we do, it can't swallow up the Earth."
Although certainly intended to be comforting, the immediate cry heard round the scientific community was one of: "Wait, you mean there is a chance that this could create a BLACK HOLE???"
But efforts to stop the project didn't pan out. And today, Sept. 10, 2008, at some point between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. Central European Time (my time zone), they're going to turn it on.
I recommend spending the last hours of your life checking out these incredible photo essays of the Large Hadron Collider (here and here) and looking directly into the eyes of your imminent doom.
See you on the other side.
JEM
P.S. You can read more about the Large Hadron Collider all over the Interwebs, but since you don't have much time to sift through all that stuff, what with the end of the world and all, I'd recommend this in-depth National Geographic article. It explains all this business of God particles and Theories of Everything better than I can. Happy reading!
whoosh- you lost me at "large Hadron Collider" I think that was the beginning sentence. Love and miss you J&J. I am getting really excited about Junior's arrival. How are you feeling, Jaz?
ReplyDeleteI just read that today they didn't actually collide anything yet. This was just the first time they turned it on.
ReplyDeletehttp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7604293.stm
They plan on doing their first collision before the end of the year.
I've been down and seen all the hardware first hand! Eddie and I had a little private tour, and we even got to dress in the little scientific scrubs and got to see where they make some of the components! It was very interesting, and when the science guy was explaining all of it in a very dumbed down way, I understood, but about 5 minutes after he finished, I'd forgotten everything he said and I still have no clue how it works.
ReplyDeleteWow. You are so Jake's wife. I've been using the Interwebs to read everything I can about Sarah Palin's pregnant daughter. I'm a loser.
ReplyDeleteI read that NG article a few months ago and was part freaked out/ part excited the big blast. And I was super confused.
ReplyDeleteIf we don't make it there, we'll be in the black hole thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteI think I have taught myself to skip over things that I don't understand... did you just write something? Hee Hee.
ReplyDeleteWow. Jasmine, you never cease to amaze me. I'm comfy here in my little bubble--not even aware of what is about to blow me up. Thanks for the reality check--lol. But seriously, kind of scary. Hope it works--then we'll finally know how we came to be(wink, wink).
ReplyDeleteSo, I just found a batch of high school peeps on blogspot and your husband was one of them. :) I'm a current journalist (as opposed to your former status) and after snooping around your blog I must say I (heart) you and your Jake.
ReplyDeleteI'll be following along. Congrats on the alien!
That is all.
Natalie
everettnatalie [at] gmail.com
Okay, that blog is way over my head, you sound like a genius talking. I think you are one. I loved looking at your summer trip part 1 and 2! I went to Paris and Amsterdam when I was 18 and loved it! Everything you guys did in Amsterdam, I did! It was amazing. I hope to embark on an adventure over there someday. How are you doing by the way? you look great. I think I am bigger than you and your due before me. Maybe because my husband is 6' 8" and me being 6' 1" has something to do with it. I think we are creating a giant.
ReplyDeleteDude, Dana - I never thought about that. Your baby = h u g e.
ReplyDelete6'8" + 6'1" = 12'9" (at least). Think about it.
hey, nice blog.
ReplyDeletethe big circle thing under the ground, is now broke.
kerput!
knackered, and goosed.
so they tell us?
perhaps a big black hole is forming and we have not been told.
its the end of the world..............