By the way, I think I've figured out the German obsession with backing into parking spaces.
A conversation with German friend Livia brought to my attention the fact that in grocery store parking lots, it's exactly the opposite: cars are NEVER backed in. The reason is that the trunk needs to be accessible for packing up groceries. And I realized, that's the key! Trunk access! Hear me out ...
Germans use the trunks of their vehicles quite liberally. I think I opened the trunk of my car in the U.S. once every three months or so. Groceries, jackets, bags, etc., etc. always just went in the back seat or on the floor somewhere. But Germans actually use their trunks. I'm always a little confused and surprised when I catch a ride with someone and they offer to put my jacket and purse in the trunk before I get in, even for relatively short rides.
Keeping that in mind, one must also remember that German streets are really narrow. If you pull into a parking spot nose-first and pop the trunk and start rummaging around, you're taking up half the street.
And so they BACK IN! So they can put their stuff in the trunk without blocking traffic!
EUREKA!!!
JEM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I search google for what americans shown? That's right... your blog.
ReplyDeleteThere is also another reason for parking our cars like that: many of us simply hate having to pull out of a car park whilst driving backwards.
You do great math, Jasmine. I would have never figured that out.
ReplyDeleteI especially love the above comment. They hate pulling the car out backwards. So do Americans hate backing the car in? I guess I am just scared of backing in :-).
Hey, I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma. I'm sure it hurts even more that you are so far away. My prayers are with you.
hi, i've been living in dresden for two years. i noticed the same thing too. and now i know why.
ReplyDeletemind. blown.