Friday, September 5, 2008

In the Belfry

So there I was last night, sitting in our IKEA cantilevered rocking chair, making a list of potential baby names, when something with a pretty substantial wingspan swoops into our living room from the direction of our open bedroom window.

I, of course, freeze and scream bloody murder, scaring the bejeebies out of Jake, who was in the other room, the baby, who started doing jumping jacks in my belly, and I'm pretty sure the sensitive-eared-creature-intruder, who crash landed on the floor under our living room window and lied there motionless but blinking.

Yeah. That's a bat. And a pretty fine specimen, if I do say so myself.

I think nature may have been trying to send me a sign.



Bruce is a nice name.



JEM

12 comments:

  1. Bruce...I never would have thought of that. At least the baby will have a good story to tell. Your experience would have freaked me out, too. We have bats just like that come to sleep by our front and back porch each night, but they haven't gotten into the house yet. I don't think I should be afraid, but tell me if you find out otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bruce Michaelson...I like it. I just want you to know that I too would have screamed bloody murder upon a bat siting in my living room. What did you do with the bat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, you made my day! Anytime I can see Christian Bale is pleasurable. Yikes about the bat... I thought you'd have a clip of Twilight on there too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps- don't tell me you picked it up and made it a bed with a little soft pillow and then later you and Jake sang it a lullaby to sleep (aka the last little chick story).

    ReplyDelete
  5. yikes! did you know that bats are pretty much where all the worst diseases, like ebola and hanta, come from? i read it in national geographic, which you know is the authority on all science, and now i'm totally freaked out about them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE Bats. I find them completely fascinating. I think you should take this as a very good omen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bruce is a great name. Bats in your house... not so great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could really go with Bruce or Wayne. By the way, that is a totally gross picture. What is sticking out of its body at that odd angle?

    ReplyDelete
  9. AHHHH! Bats!?! No thank you. Can you imagine the AWESOME story that would make..."OK 1st graders, for homework tonight ask you parents who you were named after."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww, his little hand sticking out just so. I love bats, even though their wings are so leathery and freaky. I really like Bruce.
    Wayne on the other hand... reminds me of the older brother on "Wonder Years". Not the greatest connotation, but it will do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. To Amy: I don't think you should be afraid. I don't think he wanted to be in our house any more than we wanted him there. He didn't try anything shady.

    To Super Angie: Jake heroically donned my winter mittens (which were too small and resulted in his squeezing the poor guy a little too hard and making him shriek ... terrifying) and herded him into our mop bucket, which we left on the balcony. He flew away a few minutes later.

    To Laura: There are no bats in Twilight. And I have stopped publicly admitting to reading those books. And no, I didn't make a bed for him, though we considered keeping him (her?) as a wet nurse for Junior.

    To McKenzie: Thanks for ruining the magic.

    To Jan: A wing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sheesh... I'll be careful what I say next time. I meant (in regards to Twilight) a creature with fangs coming into your room at night. And I was being sarcastic that you should have a clip from the movie.

    ReplyDelete